Swift® Treatment for Plantar Warts
Plantar Wart Causes and Symptoms
Warts are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). Like any virus, warts are spread through direct contact. The virus enters the body through tiny cuts or cracks on the bottom of the foot, which typically occurs when walking barefoot on surfaces where the virus is present. Plantar warts most commonly develop on the heels or other parts of the foot, especially areas that bear more weight. The virus thrives in warm and moist environments, making locker rooms and swimming pools a common source of infection.
Symptoms of plantar warts include:
- Hard, flat, rough growths on the skin that disrupt the normal “lines” of the foot.
- Black pinpoints within the wart, sometimes called seeds. These are actually small blood vessels that have grown into the wart.
Learn more about the diagnoses and complications of plantar warts, here.
What is Swift®? How Does it Work?
The Swift® system is a non-invasive device that uses precisely tuned microwave energy to increase the temperature of the treatment area, resulting in the coagulation of the soft tissue. This cutting-edge, FDA cleared technology has proven to be highly effective in the removal of plantar warts. It delivers low dose microwave energy through a specialized probe that targets and effectively treats the underlying HPV virus by stimulating a natural immune response in the body. We like to say that we’re addressing the root cause, not the symptom.
What Patients Are Saying About Swift
"I'm so thrilled with the Swift procedure. My eight-year-old son had it done for his planter's warts, one of which was very, very sizable; it was really starting to bother him. We booked three appointments and by the four weeks after the first one, they were completely fading. One of the smallest ones was gone. Within two sessions they're basically not there anymore. It was pretty much painless, he tolerated the procedure really well, and we're thrilled with how well and how quickly it works. Would certainly recommend it to anyone who has it as an option."
Advantages of the Swift® Device:
The Swift® device offers several benefits in treating the root cause of plantar warts. Primary benefits include:
- Minimal discomfort: The treatment involves minimal discomfort (lasting only a few seconds).
- Quick and efficient: As microwave energy travels to a precise depth, water molecules within the tissue area begin colliding and creating localized heat energy, targeting only the treatment area. The entire process lasts between 5-10 minutes with reduced post-procedural padding or dressing.
- Minimal recovery time: Patients are able to return to normal activity after treatment.
- Simple and clean: The Swift® device is designed with a highly contained treatment zone. The microwaves travel in straight lines with no lateral spread. The treatment device also features a disposable tip, which eliminates the risk of cross-contamination and the need for sterilization.
What is the Treatment Process? What can I Expect?
Treatment varies by patient and how you respond to the Swift treatment. Adults typically require 3-4 treatments, 4 weeks apart, while children typically require 1-2 treatments for successful plantar wart removal.